Monday, February 26, 2007

Mission Accomplished!












I don't mind admitting that when I woke up today I was filled with dread. I was prepared to find Him a Segway. That seemed easy. But getting the NASA diaper took some engineering on my part. Mostly Joe had to pull some strings, but we got not only one, but two. Joe wanted to try one out today.

I learned a lot though and I understand why Joe wanted one so badly. Here's a photo and a little information about Joe's trial run today. Joe always says a progressive leader is a prepared leader. I don't really know what He means, but it sounds good.

Joe drove the 2 sq miles miles from Howard to Devon and out to Western from Sheridan wearing a diaper, to avoid time-wasting rest stops, according to the election officials. The diaper caught the eye of many curious Rogers Parkers, but in the aerospace community, it’s not a new concept. Originally, during the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s and 1970s, astronauts wore urine and fecal containment bags. When astronauts walked on the moon there was a kind of spandex trunk but the fecal and urine collection devices fitted into the trunk … the spandex tights just held them into place. The Diaper is a comfortable undergarment that looked like a biker short, with a zipper on one side, and a softly padded rump and centerline with a leakproof outer layer.

This might also explain the shape of Joe's bottom.

However, the reason is eminently practical: “You can’t just drop your political pants and go any where in the Ward,” says Alex, a high ranking manager in the alderman's department at the Rogers Park Cosmosphere and Diaper Center. "Early on, when it was only men, they would have bags that they would keep inside their political pants." Then came the diapers.


I didn't realize that NASA had invaded the political sphere on such a local level. I have to confess that Joe did look smashing on his Segway and the confidence just oozed from Him. Of course, I didn't look at the Diaper when He was done. I did have time to make Him a sandwich board to wear tomorrow. I think it will be helplful. It says "Vote for Me!"

I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!