Monday, February 19, 2007

Morsehellhole: A Lesson In Yellow Journalism

After reading the Hellhole blog for the last month or so, I'm very disappointed. I thought when Joe had me reading the blogs it was because the blogs were important and a great source for local news. I thought I was important because He had me read them. However, I continue to find that this is not the case. I did a little research and here is what I believe is going on with Mr. Broken Heart.

He's a yellow journalist.

Here is the definition from Wikipedia:

"Yellow journalism is a pejorative reference to journalism that features scandal-mongering, sensationalism, jingoism or other unethical or unprofessional practices by news media organizations or individual journalists."

Or from http://library.thinkquest.org:

"Yellow journalism, in short, is biased opinion masquerading as objective fact. Moreover, the practice of yellow journalism involved sensationalism, distorted stories, and misleading images for the sole purpose of boosting newspaper sales and exciting public opinion.
What is the remedy to yellow journalism? Simply double- and triple-checking one's sources and reading between the lines. If one disregards the obvious marketing that is used to hook readers, newspapers may actually prove to be reliable sources of information."


I know that I am young but I think that it's imperative that we question the source of our news information. Aside from the fact that Mr. BH has a personality disorder, which is evident when one day he calls Joe a republican and then the next day calls him left-wing, it's clear to me that he should win a Pulitzer for Yellow Journalism. By the way, I've never heard of a left-wing republican.

I think Mr. BH most closely resembles William Randolph Hearst. Let's take this paragraph from www.pbs.org and do a little substitution:

Yellow journals like the Morsehellhole rely on sensationalist headlines to sell blog space. Mr. BH understands that a war with Joe More will not only sell his blog, but also move him into a position of neighborhood prominence. Mr. BH writes stories designed to tug at the heartstrings of Rogers Parkers. Horrific tales describing the situation in RP--female prisoners, executions, valiant rebels fighting, and starving women and children figure in many of the stories that fill the blog.

See how easy it is? I could easily become a yellow journalist myself since it's the easiest form of jounalism. Make up something sensational and it will sell itself. All Mr. BH has had to do is inherit a magazine and do nothing but sit at his computer, get drunk and make stuff up. Jeesh.

I understand that his father was a good man and fair journalist. In fact, his father fought long and hard for gay rights back in the 70s, which took courage. I wonder what his father would think of Mr. BH's yellow journalism. Yellow journalism certainly does not involve courage.

Mr. BH, I challenge you to stop embarrassing your family and to become an ethical (or is that ehthical) journalist and conclude this saga of yellow journalism that you have begun.